FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- What policies does waggel offer?
- What does annual limit mean?
- What does claim contribution mean?
- Can i change my annual limit or claim contribution amount?
- What is a pre-existing condition?
- Do you cover dental treatment?
- What are sub-limits and how do they apply?
- What sub-limits are there on my policy?
- What else does my waggel policy cover?
- What does my waggel policy not cover?
- How do i switch to waggel if i already have another insurer?
- How do i make a claim?
What policies does Waggel offer?
We only offer lifetime cover here at Waggel, so as long as there are no pre-existing conditions and you continuously renew your cover with us, we will cover your pet for life.
What does annual limit mean?
The annual limit is the maximum amount of veterinary fees we will cover per policy year. Our policies start with a minimum of £1,000 up to a maximum of £10,000 per year. You can choose which limit suits you best.
What does claim contribution mean?
Your claim contribution , aka excess, is the amount which you would pay towards a claim per condition, per year, throughout your policy period.
You can select your claim contribution at either £0, £50, £100, £200 or £250.
Can I change my annual limit or claim contribution amount?
Once your policy has been selected you cannot change your annual limit or claim contribution.
The only way to change this once purchased would be to cancel your current policy and set up a new one. To keep in mind, if you do this, any conditions your pet has had previously will be classed as pre-existing and will not be covered in your new policy.
What is a pre-existing condition?
A pre-existing condition is any condition or symptom that has occurred before you have set up your Waggel policy that you have visited the vet for in the past.
We don’t currently cover for pre-existing conditions, but have recognised this as an issue and are working to change this - stay tuned.
Do you cover dental treatment?
We cover dental treatment for illness, injury or accident. For example if extractions are needed or your pet fractures a tooth.
We have a £1,000 limit per policy year for dental treatment; this is a sub-limit within your annual coverage.
We require your pet to have a dental check every 12 months to be covered and if you have been given veterinary advice for dental treatment, we require this to be carried out within 3 months.
We do not cover for any routine dental procedures such as dental checks or scale and polishing. If the dental condition is already pre-existing then we unfortunately cannot cover for this.
What are sub-limits and how do they apply?
A sub-limit is the maximum amount you can claim for within your annual limit for certain treatments. Read the next question to understand the sub-limits on the Waggel policy.
What sub-limits are there on my policy?
We have four main sub-limits within your annual limit for all Waggel policies where you can only claim to a limited amount:
- Complementary Therapies: Up to £1000
- Behavioural Treatment: Up to £1000
- Death, Theft or Stray: Up to £1000
- Dental Treatment: Up to £1000
What else does my Waggel policy cover?
Waggel covers the following as part of our lifetime policy:
- Accident, illness or injury claims (as long as no pre-existing conditions)
- Unlimited free vet video calls
- Free behaviour consultations
What does my Waggel policy not cover?
Waggel does not cover the following as part of our lifetime policy:
Any routine/elective or preventative treatments such as vaccinations, flea/worming or neutering/spaying * Cosmetic treatments of any kind such as grooming and nail clipping
- Dental care such as scaling or polishing
- Breeding, pregnancy or related conditions
- Pets under 8 weeks of age
- Working dogs used for hunting, trade or business
- Any consumables or food
- Any illness as a result of not having the recommended routine/elective or preventative treatment e.g. vaccinations
More detail on this will be found in the policy document T&Cs.
How do I switch to Waggel if I already have another insurer?
If your pet has no pre-existing conditions, head to get a quote as normal. Please check with your current insurers regarding breaking-up (cancellation) policies and be aware of our 14 day warm up period in which your pet will not be covered throughout this time.
How do I make a claim?
Just log in to your member dashboard and select ‘Make a Claim’. Answer a few questions and we will take over from there (no need to fill out any long boring insurance forms with your vet - we will contact them directly for the medical history and invoice).
More information can be found at Waggel Claims